Thursday, February 10, 2011

Weston 2.0 Update

TCH Day 25::Post-Transplant Day 13


GIVE MY SON A PICC LINE!!!

Perhaps not Oscar-worthy, but a similar situation did happen today.
We lost both of Weston's IVs over the course of last night and this morning. 
He got another one...
Got his dose of Vancomycin, destroyed the vein.
Got the vascular access team in here, started another one...
Half-way into another dose of Vancomycin, destroyed the vein.
"We need to start another IV..."
I don't think so.
Over the course of a couple of hours and many, many phone calls...
Weston will be receiving another PICC line tomorrow, properly sedated.
Until then, he currently does not have an IV and will wait for the PICC tomorrow before they attempt again.

I seriously lost my mind and caused this poor surgical resident so much grief and stress. But, I can't stand by and watch Weston get stuck over and over and over and over again, when he clearly needs a PICC.
You would think I'd feel on top of the world right now, but I don't.
Confrontation is not a fun thing for me. 
It truly terrifies me to think of what happens to people who don't know that they can ask questions and that they have other options.

The jerks in Interventional Radiology are the ONLY people in this whole, progressive hospital that place PICC lines, and they refuse to do it today. So, we have been added on to the list tomorrow...who knows when it will happen.
But it WILL happen.
He was seriously woken up at 1:30 this morning for labs...
Sorry! I'm stopping.


Wanna see some cuteness??

He was sleeping like this!



Yea! Out of bed and playing.

Peek-a-boo!

 The shirts are in!!!
The sweetest Wishes for Weston supporter EVER!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still amazed our 'lil man can still smile through all he's had to handle over the past months. And such a beautiful smile it is.
Ashley, you are the bravest person I know. Afraid I would have gone "postal" a long time ago & taken out most of the staff with me.

MeeMaw

Background