Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Good, Not so Good and Concerning

Starting off on a positive note; the GOOD:
♡ Dr. F is our attending. I know I said that yesterday, but I cannot even begin to explain the important role this plays. We know him; we think the world of him; we trust him; he loves Wes; he kniws how I have the tendency to go from zero to apocalypse in 2.3 seconds
♡Bubby is back to "the old Bubby". Super sweet; tons of smiles; cuddles galore; very little tantrum throwing

♡We will probably get to go home tomorrow! Holla!

♡The liver biopsy showed no inflammation and little to no scarring. Any that is present is totally reversible

♡Because the inflammation is gone, the steroids will be weaned off.

♡We should be able to keep our big plans for the weekend: going to Dallas for the State Fair

The Not So Good:
:-\ Bubby had an urgent ultrasound at midnight to check for bleeding. He was pretty uncomfortable and his red blood cells dropped after his biopsy

:-\ As a result of the above, he had to receive a unit of blood.

:-\ Because his liver is not 100%, he is a more inclined to bleed, say when stuck in the liver with s sharp instrument. He was slowly oozing, but seems to be doing better

The Concerning:
Ok...when we left last week, it was agreed that this was a case of rejection/chronic rejecting. Although, not a classic picture of either.
The most recent biopsy still shows little to no bile ducts. Well, it's only been a week or two. It wasnt expected that it would be full of ducts.
The issue is, the inflammation is gone. "Rejection" is not present anymore, but bile ducts are still not there. Why? We don't know. Amoxicillin? Maybe. Strep? Maybe. Some other infection? Maybe. Atypical rejection plus something else? Likely. What that something else is, is the missing puzzle piece.
The plan is to increase the immunosuppressants and allow the liver to hopefully regenerate its ducts. He will have to have another biopsy in a few months. In the interim, he will have labs at least once a week and we will just have to live with the crappy liver enzymes for now.
That's doable. The hard part is waiting. If, in a few months, the bile ducts are still missing...we've got a pretty big problem.

Dr. F told me, "I told you that I'd be honest when it's time to worry.Right now, I'm concerned; but not worried. If we don't see ducts next time, then it's time to worry."
To say I'm on red alert is an understatement. I asked if I had to become obsessed with the color of his poop again, taking pictures and examining it in different light sources...I was told no; but, lets be honest; I probably will. Lol.

Please keep him in your prayers. Along with his recovery, I also am asking for strength and faith in God's plan and understanding that it's according to His time; not mine. Definitely easier said than done!

Leaving on a super cute positive note:





2 comments:

Mindy said...

Still praying for you all and thank you for the update! Ashley your an awesome mom and I know God has a plan so for now we pray for little Weston to have great strength to fight this and to keep inspiring us to fight with him. Be safe coming home and hopefully get to see y'all soon!
Love, Mindy

Anonymous said...

I hope and pray my little man will get through this with flying colors. I will keep praying for him!
Have a good time this weekend at the state fair and forget about your problems.
Nana

Background